Over a Century of Health Care
Over a century ago, health care in southeastern Ohio had a humble beginning with a seven-bed hospital opening at 507 Second Avenue in Gallipolis. Dr. Charles E. Holzer Sr. opened the first private hospital in the region, which has grown into the multi-facility healthcare system today.
Dr. Charles E. Holzer Jr. followed in his father's footsteps. In 1946, he returned to Gallipolis following his graduation from Cornell Medical School and a surgical residency at the University of Cincinnati. At his urging, a medical partnership known as the Holzer Clinic was formed in 1950 with six physicians.
In 1968, Holzer Hospital and the Medical Center Hospital merged, as did Holzer Clinic and Gallipolis Clinic. From the uniting of top community leaders, the new Holzer Medical Center and Holzer Clinic were opened on Jackson Pike, and dedicated to the community on April 17, 1972. Throughout the years, many milestones have marked the Holzer calendar with countless services and changes being made.
A few highlights include:
- Holzer Senior Care, a 70-bed facility opened in 1995;
- Construction of the Charles E. Holzer Jr., MD, Ambulatory Surgery Center in 2000;
- Establishment of the Holzer Medical Center - Jackson in 2000
- Holzer Cardiovascular Institute made available in 2001;
- Holzer Center for Cancer Care made available in 2005 with an affiliation established between the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center * Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute in 2006;
- Opening of the new Holzer Clinic - Athens location in 2008;
- Holzer Weight Loss Solutions became a Center of Excellence in 2009;
- Continued growth with the establishment of the Holzer Center for Joint Replacement in Jackson, Ohio, in 2010.
In addition, Holzer Clinic has grown from six physicians to a multi-discipline healthcare system, providing services in over 30 areas of expertise, with over 160 providers administering care in 15 locations throughout southeastern Ohio and western West Virginia.
The Holzer legacy continues today with the continued practicing of Dr. Holzer Sr. and Dr. Holzer Jr.'s philosophy, "The Patient is the Center of All We Do." As the system continues to grow services we will remember a proud past, celebrate present accomplishments, and look forward to what the future holds. Officially the entities are one Holzer family, as it was in the beginning of the clinic and hospital, here to benefit one another as well as the community. Once again, the system truly embodies One Dream, One Team, One Holzer.