The Holzer Center for Weight Loss Solutions
Holzer Weight Loss Solutions (HWLS) has a multi-disciplinary program including the Lap-Band System, behavior modification, nutrition and fitness counseling. With all of these components working together, patients can reach the goal of at least 75% excess weight loss and keep it off permanently.
If you've been thinking about weight loss surgery as a tool in losing and your excess weight and maintaining your ongoing health goals, you have come to the right place.
You may be able to benefit from the LAP-BAND® System if:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are at least 100 pounds overweight or your BMI is 40 or higher (or at least 35 if you have one or more co morbidities - weight-related health conditions - such as type 2 diabetes)*Depending on insurance
Check your Body Mass Index (BMI) here!
Keep in mind that only a qualified physician/surgeon can properly evaluate all the factors in your case. Your BMI is a guideline for you. HWLS can help you decide if weight loss surgery and the LAP-BAND® System are right for you.
Throughout the program, our patients are treated with compassion and dignity, because we understand the challenges that patients face attempting to lose weight.
Our dedicated staff includes: Dr. Grandia, Dr. Ellison, and Program Director/Coordinator Dr. Canady, a full time RN and Dietician, and and on call staff member available 24/7.
We can help patients obtain dietary documentation needed prior to surgery, check on insurance benefits for patients, assist in gathering patient information needed for surgery and provide information regarding psychological evaluations. The team at HWLS is committed to making the process for lap band pre-approval smooth and a successful weight loss journey for out patients.
- Our surgeons are board certified with significant experience in abdominal surgery
- Holzer Medical Center is licensed and JCAHO accredited
- Our program includes psychological evaluation and counseling
- Follow-up support group sessions are provided monthly
Marjorie Lang, MS, RD, LD, CDE, Program Director
Kim Stout, RN, BSN
Sue Francis, Receptionist
- The Lap-Band® System is an alternative to gastric bypass surgery. It is an adjustable gastric band designed to help patients lose excess body weight, improve weight-related health conditions and enhance quality of life.
- Lap-Band® reduces the stomach capacity and restricts the amount of food that can be consumed at one time. The Lap-Band® System does not require revision of the stomach, stapling or gastrointestinal re-routing to bypass normal digestion.
- Patients typically spend less than 24 hours in the hospital. Most patients return to work in about a week, and to exercise in about a month to 6 weeks.
- The System is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- The LAP-BAND® System is safe and is designed to minimize the potential for complications.
- Minimally invasive procedure, with no stapling or dividing of native tissue required
- Lower short-term mortality rate than standard Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) or vertical banded gastroplasty (VBG)
- Fewer total complications than with RYGB or biliopancreatic diversion (BPD) (9% vs 23% with RYGB and 25% with BPD—P<0.001)
- Shorter hospital stays and faster recovery times than with RYGB or BPD
- Weight Loss:
- Provides weight loss comparable to that seen with standard gastric bypass.
- Experience in a recent U.S Study has shown a 62% +/- 20.9% mean excess weight loss at 36 months, which is comparable to the weight loss seen after gastric bypass.
- A meta-analysis of multiple studies showed that weight loss with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) is comparable to standard Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (RYGB) at 36 months and beyond
- Health Improvements:
- Weight loss with the LAP-BAND® System has been associated with a rapid resolution or improvement of some comorbid conditions.
- 90% resolution or improvement of asthma, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and gastroesophageal reflux
- 79% resolution or improvement of hypertension based on a subset of obese, diabetic patients
- Surgically induced weight loss, in general, is also associated with resolved or improved:
- Urinary incontinence
- Complications of pregnancy and delivery
- Degenerative joint disease
- Venous stasis disease
- Nonalcoholic hepatic steatosis (NASH)
Click here to view Lap-Band® System video.
Click here to view a video about the procedure.
Contact Holzer Medical Center or call 877-527-4957 for more information on Holzer's surgical weight loss program or to schedule a consultation.