Drug Disposal Pouches Available 8/9-8/15 in Meigs & Gallia Counties
According to the US Drug Enforcement Agency, non-medical use of prescription drugs ranks second only to marijuana as the most common form of drug abuse in America. Unused prescription drugs thrown in the trash can be retrieved, abused, and illegally sold. Unused drugs that are flushed contaminate the water supply. Proper disposal of unused drugs saves lives and protects our environment. For these reasons, and many more, the Gallia County Citizens for Prevention and Recovery and the Meigs County Prevention Coalition have made available drug disposal kits for our communities throughout the week of August 9 through 15.
These kits can be utilized to dispose of medications at home safely. Informational handouts are available with directions on how to use the drug disposal pouches effectively. The pouches are a patented Deterra System, which deactivates prescription drugs, render them inert and unavailable for misuse. This method is safe for the environment.
Drug disposal pouch pick up locations include:
- Rio Grande - Rio Family Healthcare
- Gallipolis - Bossard Memorial Library, Gallia County Health Department, Health Recovery Services, Holzer Family Pharmacy, Piggly Wiggly (Jackson Pike & Second Ave), and Zack and Scotty's.
- Pomeroy - Health Recovery Services and Meigs County Health Health Department
- Middleport - Meigs County Job and Family Services
- Coolville - Friends and Neighbors
- Chester - Hearts and Hands Thrift Store
Kits will be available while supplies last. For more information, visit the Gallia County CPR or Meigs County Prevention Coalition social media pages.