Resources & Services
Resources and services at HCCC assist you in becoming the best patient you can be.
The Healing Garden
Modern cancer treatment is about mental and emotional health as well as physical health. Our contemporary chemotherapy treatment area overlooks the lovely Healing Garden, reminding us of not only the medical aspects, but also the natural and spiritual components so important to the healing process. Many people choose to walk the path of a labyrinth as a tool for meditation, reflection, prayer, and comfort.
What is a Labyrinth
A labyrinth is different from a maze in that it has one path on the inside and one path on the outside. As you walk a labyrinth, turning 180 degrees each time you enter a different circuit, your awareness shifts from right brain to left brain. This is one of the reasons the labyrinth can induce receptive states of consciousness. Walking these single path designs assists us with bringing together the analytical or rational part of our mind with the intuitive or spiritual part of our consciousness. Walking a labyrinth is an exercise for the mind, body, and spirit.
Many people choose to walk the path of a labyrinth as a tool for meditation, reflection, prayer, and comfort. Each person's walk is a unique personal experience. Some people find that it clears and centers their thoughts while others observe a spiritual experience. Some feel a sense of well-being and balance, while others experience something as simple as a pleasant walk.
Labyrinths have been around for over 4000 years and are found in just about every major religious tradition in the world. They have been an integral part of many cultures such as Native American, Greek, Celtic and Mayan.
American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society and its volunteers play an important role in the services provided by Holzer Health System and the Holzer Center for Cancer Care.
They provide brochures and a videotape library, and there is a volunteer available for assistance. The American Cancer Society and Holzer Health System also sponsor monthly Cancer Support Groups.
The American Cancer Society combines an unyielding passion with nearly a century of experience to save lives and end suffering from cancer. As a global grassroots force of more than three million volunteers, we fight for every birthday threatened by every cancer in every community.
We save lives by helping people stay well by preventing cancer or detecting it early; helping people get well by being there for them during and after a cancer diagnosis; by finding cures through investment in groundbreaking discovery; and by fighting back by rallying lawmakers to pass laws to defeat cancer and by rallying communities worldwide to join the fight.
As the nation’s largest non-governmental investor in cancer research, contributing about $3.4 billion, we turn what we know about cancer into what we do. As a result, more than 11 million people in America who have had cancer and countless more who have avoided it will be celebrating birthdays this year. To learn more about us or to get help, call us anytime, day or night, at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
- Cancer Support Group: The local Cancer Support Group at Holzer was established in May 2004. Since that time, the group has grown and its members have become a family, sharing with each other the many emotions that accompany the cancer experience. The group is open to all cancer survivors, family, and friends.
The group meets monthly and is always joined by a speaker who has been pre-selected for the month. Topics have covered specific cancer sites, caregiver support, yoga, tai chi, American Cancer Society, and much more. The topics have been chosen by Support Group participants in order to address their specific concerns and questions.
- Financial Counseling: Financial counseling is available through the Holzer Center for Cancer Care for anyone who may wish to seek financial assistance.
- Spiritual Counseling: HCCC provides the opportunity to work and consult leaders of all religious faiths, and will assist in providing spiritual guidance to those patients who request it.
- Nutritional Counseling: HCCC dietitions can prescribe individual diets, based on your specific diagnosis and situation.
- Social Services Counseling: HCCC provides social services counseling through Holzer Gallipolis in order to help patients manage responsibilities, such as caring for families and households.