Holzer's Surgery Department provides excellent care to patients of all ages, assuring a pleasant, thorough, and relaxed experience for everyone. We offer a complete range of surgical services, including ambulatory, acute, and minimally invasive, laparoscopic surgical procedures that offer less pain and faster recovery.
We understand you may be anxious about the tests or surgery your doctor has scheduled, and we work hard to treat you with the highest levels of technical skill and compassion.
Typical Surgery patients include:
- General Surgery
- Pain Management
- Plastic Surgery
General surgery can be used for routine procedures performed in a physician's office, or for more complicated operations requiring a medical team in a hospital setting.
In addition to general surgical procedures, one rapidly expanding area at the Surgical Services Department is our ability to provide patients with treatment, recovery, and discharge to home the same day.
- Skin grafts
- Management of melanoma
- Incision and drainage of abscesses
- Excision of skin lesions
- Single and dual chamber pacemaker procedures
- Thoracoscopy: diagnostic and therapeutic
- Thoracotomy for lung cancer (lobectomy/pneumonectomy)
- Esophageal surgery
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- Management of carotid artery disease (carotid endarterectomy)
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Venous disease (varicose veins)
- Vascular access devices
- Colectomy for benign and malignant disease
- Management of pancreatic cancer (whipple procedure)
- Nissen fundoplication (for GERD)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication
- Laparoscopic colectomy
- Management of thyroid disease/cancer
- Parathyroid disease/adenoma
- Incision and drainage of abscess
- Sphincter repair for incontinence
- Carpal tunnel release
- Excision of ingrown toenail
- Ganglion cyst
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- PEG tube placement (feeding tube)
Complete Surgical Oncology Care
Same Day surgery pre-op evaluations can be performed prior to the day of scheduled outpatient surgery. Pre-op evaluations allow nurses to collect information, perform tests, and explain the surgical process to the patient. We also offer the convenience of preadmission, which is located on the first floor.
Day of Surgery - DO
- DO arrive at your designated time (30 minutes to one hour prior to your procedure). This will allow preparation time for your procedure. You will receive a phone call the day before surgery with your correct arrival time.
- DO take your Blood Pressure and Heart medications with a SIP of water.
- DO use prescribed inhalers the morning of surgery.
- DO wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing.
- DO bring your insurance card and personal ID.
- DO ask your doctor about stopping your blood thinners — Coumadin, Plavix, or Aspirin.
- DO make arrangements for a responsible adult to drive you home after surgery. Have someone stay with you for a minimum of 24 hours after surgery.
Day of Surgery - DON'T
- DO NOT eat or drink after midnight the day of surgery (this includes candy, gum, and/or mints- not even WATER).
- DO NOT bring valuables (jewelry, credit cards, or large amounts of cash). Body piercing MUST be removed prior to surgery.
- DO NOT wear make-up, perfume, or body lotions.
- You may be asked to remove nail polish for certain procedures.
- DO NOT take diabetic medication on the morning of surgery.
- DO NOT smoke or use tobacco products for 24 hours before surgery. Tobacco usage increases your chance of post operative complications.
Holzer provides a comprehensive health library to help you and your family live life well. Visit the Holzer Health Library to learn more.